Sunday 29 April 2012

Reversible sunhat


For a while I've had my eye on the Oliver & S reversible Bucket Hat pattern from this book and have had this gorgeous Melody Miller transistor fabric in my stash.  Going on holiday seemed the perfect reason to pluck up the courage to cut into it and have a go.  I was a bit daunted by the way the pattern instructed piecing the hat together (hand-stitching - yikes!), and couldn't work out if there was a reason why the two hats couldn't be machine-sewn together and then turned inside out.  Praise be then for the lovely internet, which after a quick search, showed me that Jessica at A Little Gray had not only tried this method, but posted a tutorial on how to do it.  It worked really well and apart from it being a bit fiddly getting the curved pieces to fit together (my method: cut approximately three million notches in the fabric edges), it's a great pattern and I can see myself making lots more of these.  Here it is in action.



1 comment:

  1. It came out perfect! And yes, that IS precious fabric. I would be afraid to try rebelling against the pattern too, if I was using some beloved Melody Miller :)

    ReplyDelete